Northern New York Newspapers
NNY Business
NNY Living
Thu., Oct. 8
Serving the community of Ogdensburg, New York
Related Stories

RECAP: SLU 2, Vermont 1


Below comes via the SLU athletics website:

BURLINGTON, Vt. — St. Lawrence University captain Jacob Drewiske snapped a tie with his fifth goal of the season with 3 minutes, 57 seconds to play and senior goaltender Robby Moss turned in an outstanding performance in goal as the Saints tipped the University of Vermont, 2-1, to conclude pre-holiday competition on Saturday night.

The Saints, who won their second in a row, improve to 7-10-0, but had to come from behind against the 3-12-1 Catamounts, who scored the game’s first goal on a five-on-three power play early in the third period.

Moss, making his first start since Oct. 8, had a trio of scintillating glove saves among his 10 first-period stops. He robbed Vermont freshman Kyle Reynolds, who had an open net to shoot at with 7:18 to go in the first and then stopped UVM scoring leader Sebastian Stalberg twice with just over two minutes to play to keep it a scoreless game through 20 minutes.

“Robby Moss made some tremendous saves and put is in a position where we could win the game,” Saints associate head coach Mike Hurlbut said. “He really took advantage of his opportunity to start and turned in his best performance of the season. The guys also kept their heads in it and bounced back from giving up the power play goal early in the third.

“It was a good way to end the first half,” Hurlbut added.

Moss made another big stop on Stalberg just 37 seconds into the second period, diving across the goal mouth to smother the puck before it could cross the goal line. The play was reviewed for over six minutes, but the no-goal call stood and the two teams finished the first 40 minutes in a 0-0 tie.

Vermont was awarded its third and fourth power plays of the game when the Saints were called for a pair of minors 14 seconds apart into the third.

Defenseman Nick Bruneteau scored his first goal of the season on the five-on-three opportunity as he took a pass from Stalberg and hit the upper corner of a wide open net with Moss down at 3:42.

The Saints killed off the second minor in that two-penalty set and came back to tie the game when junior defenseman Jordan Dewey scored his fourth of the season on a shot from the center point with a delayed penalty being indicated against the Catamounts. A Saint player was tripped into the net, but Dewey put the shot past UVM goalie Rob Madore at 12:20 with Jeremy Wick and Mark Armstrong assisting to make it a 1-1 game.

Drewiske then came up with the game-winner as he took a pass from Rick Carden and fired a hard shot from along the side boards that ripped under the crossbar. The goal was reviewed by the officials as the goal light never came on, but it was ruled a goal and the Saints had the lead.

The Catamounts pulled Madore for an extra attacker with just under 30 seconds left, but they never were able to set up in the Saints’ zone in a bid to tie the game.

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
OGD on FacebookOGD on Twitter