Northern New York Newspapers
NNY Business
NNY Living
Thu., Oct. 8
Serving the community of Ogdensburg, New York
Related Stories

Waddington family loses home in Sunday morning fire


WADDINGTON — A log home on Rookey Road was destroyed by fire Sunday morning.

The 294 Rookey Road home, which was not insured, was owned and occupied by Jack and Nora Curley, as well as a daughter of theirs.

St. Lawrence County Fire Deputy Richard P. Coller said Mr. Curley was home alone at the time of the blaze.

Waddington Volunteer Fire Department Chief James S. Armstrong said his department was notified of the fire at 11:20 a.m., but by the time firefighters arrived on the scene, just a few minutes later, it was too late to save the home.

“When we got here it was totally gone,” he said. “There’s nothing we could do.”

Mr. Armstrong said once the fire began it was fueled by a large propane tank attached to the side of the house.

Mr. Coller said there were no smoke detectors in the home.

According to a statement released late Sunday afternoon, the fire was caused by a stove pipe malfunction. The statement also said the family had two cats that as of Sunday afternoon had not been found.

Mr. Coller said the Waddington firefighters were aided by volunteers from the Madrid, Lisbon, Louisville and West Potsdam departments with volunteers from the Lisbon, West Potsdam, Heuvelton and Massena departments on standby.

Mr. Armstrong said the American Red Cross was notified to help the family.

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
OGD on FacebookOGD on Twitter