Northern New York Newspapers
Watertown
Ogdensburg
Massena-Potsdam
Lowville
Carthage
Malone
NNY Business
NNY Living
NNY Ads
Fri., Aug. 29
SUBSCRIBE
Serving the community of Ogdensburg, New York
75°F
Related Stories

Colton Church moves ahead with restoration project

ARTICLE OPTIONS
A A
print this article
e-mail this article

COLTON - Zion Episcopal Church, Colton, is continuing with a major restoration project of its historic church.

Started in 2010 the project has included a rewiring of the church, the installation of an underground drainage system tying into the new municipal system, and the restoration of its slate roof as part of its drainage system. The roof renovation was completed in late November.

The nearly 130-year-old slate roof was replaced with a system from EcoStar in Holland, N.Y. The material is 80 percent post industrial recycled rubber and plastic. It has been custom cut by RSI Roofing in Gouverneur, and RSI has designed the three colors to exactly match the original color configuration on both the main and side roofs.

Therefore the original architectural design of the slate roof is intact and the roof looks exactly the same as the original. The material has the same life time guarantee as slate. The installation of the new roof also required some major sandstone repair. C.C. McCready Masonry of Clayton is continuing to do this work.

Zion was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 6, 2003 along with its former Rectory, which now serves as the town of Colton Museum on June 6, 2003.

Some of the following information is gleamed from Susan Omohundro’s application for that designation. She also submitted the application for Potsdam’s Trinity Episcopal Church’s placement on the National Register at the same time.

——

Built in 1883 as a memorial to Elizabeth Clarkson, member of Potsdam’s prominent Clarkson family, the Zion Episcopal Church is architecturally significant as a remarkably intact and distinguished example of late-19th century ecclesiastical architecture, which reflects an English parish church inspiration with Victorian Gothic elements. The building is constructed in rough-cut ashlar masonry of red Potsdam Sandstone taken from the family’s sandstone quarries. In the area of Social History, The Zion Episcopal Church, which began its life as a mission of Trinity Episcopal Church (included in this multiple property listing) for the Adirondack workers and their families, is significant as a testament to the lives of those workers and to the missionary zeal of the mother church.

On April 29, 1883, Elizabeth Clarkson died, and in her will left $10,000 to build a church. Three of her six children, Thomas, Lavinia, and Elizabeth, carried out her wishes and built the Zion Episcopal Church in Colton as a memorial to her.

The cornerstone for the impressive red Potsdam Sandstone church was laid on July 16, 1883, Elizabeth Clarkson’s birthday, with approximately 1,000 people in attendance.

Zion Episcopal Church was incorporated in 1884, and Thomas S. Clarkson, Jr. presented the parish with the deed to the .83 acre property on April 25, 1884.

——

Zion was consecrated on July 16, 1884, again on Elizabeth Clarkson’s birthday. William Croswell Doane, Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Albany officiated. Thomas S. Clarkson continued to serve on Zion’s vestry for several years, and the Clarkson family gave two endowments for the long-term support of Zion.

Virginia E. McEwen, a long-time parishioner and a career fourth-grade teacher in the Colton-Pierrepont Central School District was concerned about the upkeep and maintenance of the church edifice.

Upon her death on May 27, 2009, she bequeathed Zion a substantial sum of money to be used for these purposes. It is with this bequest that Zion has embarked on the beginnings of these restoration projects. The Women’s Guild of Zion has also made a major contribution to this effort. In the near future, more sandstone and mortar restoration will be done and there will be restorations of windows and in particular the12 paneled Rose Window. The Rose Window has its own history and that will be forthcoming when that project emerges.

The interior of Zion Episcopal Church is in excellent condition. In the 1970’s the rough-cut basement was converted to a full-fledged undercroft with all of the amenities of a parish hall.

In December 2009, the original Danby Vermont Quarries Marble Baptismal Font was restored to its original pristine condition. This restoration was a gift given by Elizabeth Hawley in memory of her late husband and life-long Zion parishioner Jean Hawley.

Connect with Us
OGD on FacebookOGD on Twitter
Thursday 's Covers