BRASHER IRON WORKS - A family of five lost their trailer in a fire that broke out shortly after 8 a.m. Monday on County Route 55, approximately 100 feet from the Smith Road, in the town of Brasher.
Helena Fire Chief Frank Burns said the fire gutted the interior of trailer owned by Justin and Heather Soulia and their three children, ages 5, 3 and 1 1/2. Mutual aid was provided by volunteers from the Brasher-Winthrop and North Lawrence departments, and Tri-Town Rescue also responded to the fire scene. The departments were dispatched to the fire at about 8:15 a.m. Monday and reported back in service at 10:30 a.m. The American Red Cross also responded to the fire scene.
Ms. Soulia and the three children were home when the fire broke out, fire officials said., noting Mr. Soulia had left the residence to go to Massena a short time earlier.
Mr. Burns said the cause of the fire was determined to be a Kerosun heater being used to heat the home. They can be very dangerous. Read the manufacturers manual before you use them and do not fill the units inside the residence, he said.