LOWVILLE A firefighter was injured Tuesday night while fighting a chimney fire at a Shady Avenue residence.
Lowville firefighters at 10:12 p.m. were called to the 5497 Shady Ave. home of Herbert and Deborah Yancey and requested mutual aid from the Martinsburg Fire Department.
The fire, which started in the second-floor ceiling where the chimney pipe goes into the attic, caused extensive damage to the second story and attic and moderate damage to the homes contents, according to Lewis County Fire Coordinator James M. Martin.
A firefighter, who was not identified in Mr. Martins report, fell down a flight of stairs and was taken to Lewis County General Hospital for treatment.
There was insurance on the structure.