Northern New York Newspapers
NNY Business
NNY Living
Tue., Oct. 6
Serving the community of Ogdensburg, New York
Related Stories

Troopers locate body of Massena snowmobiler


MASSENA — The search for a missing snowmobile rider ended Wednesday morning with the discovery of his body in the icy waters of the Grasse River.

The remains of John S. Favreau, 43, Massena, were found in the river by state police divers working in the vicinity of Fregoe Road, troopers said.

The recovery of Mr. Favreau’s body came after nearly two days of intense searching by local, county and state emergency crews on land, on water and in the air.

Family members told authorities that Mr. Favreau had left home about 3:30 p.m. Monday to go ice fishing. He reportedly drove a black 1990s Arctic Cat Jag snowmobile onto the ice at the boat launch behind the Amvets post on Snell Lock Road.

When he didn’t return, family members reported Mr. Favreau missing about 11:30 p.m. Monday.

That touched off an initial search with airboats and state police helicopters. Crews spotted fresh tracks leading toward a hole in the Grasse River’s icy crust about 200 yards offshore, roughly 1,000 yards from where the waterway enters the St. Lawrence River. They also found a glove and a cellphone near the hole.

Troopers said the snowmobile broke through ice that was 2 to 4 inches thick, plunging into the river with Mr. Favreau still aboard.

Efforts resumed Tuesday morning with St. Lawrence County dive crews responding to the scene. They used a camera to locate what they believed to be the man’s snowmobile and other possessions in about 18 feet of water, St. Lawrence County dive master Mark T. Smutz said. Ice and poor visibility prevented a county diver from actually reaching the suspected wreckage Tuesday.

State police divers took over the search the next morning, aided by sonar equipment. Mr. Favreau’s body was recovered about 11 a.m. Wednesday near the sunken snowmobile.

St. Lawrence County Coroner June H. Wood authorized removal of Mr. Favreau’s body to Massena Memorial Hospital for an autopsy Wednesday evening.

According to Ms. Wood, the autopsy revealed cause of death as accidental drowning.

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
OGD on FacebookOGD on Twitter