Get your thinking caps on: Ogdensburg Command Performances is still looking for teams to participate in its upcoming Trivia Night.
The organization is inviting all area trivia aficionados to participate in its annual Trivia Night Jan. 26 at the Freight House Restaurant, 20 Market St.
Four-person teams can register for $20 per person. Prizes will be given to first-, second- and third-place teams.
The night begins at 6 p.m., with a live auction preview. Held at intermission, the live auction will feature many big-ticket items, such as an hour-long helicopter ride for two over the St. Lawrence River, two handcrafted wooden Adirondack chairs, and tickets to ride the scenic Adirondack railroad, items such as dinners at local restaurants, gift baskets, and various gift certificates from a variety of local businesses.
Trivia Night will begin at 7 p.m. Audience members are invited to root for their favorite team for $5.
This is Ogdensburg Command Performances second year holding the event, hosted by trivia master Mike Viskovich of Massena.
We were looking to do something different than the norm, Ogdensburg Command Performances Administrator Sally F. Palao said Wednesday.
Last year, 15 teams participated in the event, and Ogdensburg Command Performances raised over $5,000.
It can be just as fun to watch, Mrs. Palao said. We had a lot of people come in and root for their teams last year.
This is the organizations largest fundraising event of the year. This year, the organization is hoping to raise at least $7,000. All of the proceeds go directly to help Ogdensburg Command Performances, which has been bringing famous acts and artists to the north country for 50 years.
We try to keep the ticket prices low so that everybody can afford it, Mrs. Palao said. The money we take in from ticket sales covers 49 percent of the costs of Ogdensburg Command Performances. The other 51 percent we have to make up in fundraising. Donations, the playbill campaign, writing grants, and selling concessions are just some of the ways we try to raise money anything we can think of so we dont have to raise the ticket prices.
The fundraiser will also benefit YouTheatre: Class Acts. At a cost of $3 per student, it serves as an affordable field trip for schools. The program has not raised its prices for students tickets since 1992.
Studies prove that access to theater helps encourage students to continue to read and learn, Mrs. Palao said. With all the budget cuts for school districts coming out of Albany, it is especially important to have some kind of supplement to the students eduction. We just feel like this is such an important program. We want the schools to be able to participate.
Tickets can be purchased or teams can register for the event by calling 323-2625.