St. Lawrence County supervisors and mayors want to up the ante on the countys offer of a 10 percent share of a proposed increase in sales tax.
Clearly, the sentiment is, if possible, wed like a larger share, said Potsdam Mayor Steven W. Yurgartis, who was selected with Massena Supervisor Joseph D. Gray and Ogdensburg Mayor William D. Nelson as the representatives of the countys supervisor and mayor associations to meet with the county. Were going with open minds. No ones upset with the county. Were all in this together.
The county has no desire to haggle but will meet with municipal leaders to explain the countys need for more revenue to ease property taxes, rebuild its fund balance and repair leaky roofs, Legislative Chairman Jonathan S. Putney, D-Waddington, said.
A meeting would be for educational purposes only. As far as demand for more money, theres not support for that, he said. Its not a negotiation. Thats not what were interested in.
The county wants to increase its sales tax from 3 percent to 4 percent, bringing the total with the states 4 percent to 8 percent. But lawmakers so far have not been able to persuade state Sens. Joseph A. Griffo, R-Rome, or Patricia A. Ritchie, R-Heuvelton, to introduce home-rule legislation that would allow the county to act. To help make its case, the county has prepared a five-year plan showing how it could reduce property taxes if it had a sales tax of 4 percent.
The five-year plan includes distributing 10 percent of the additional 1 percentage point tax to towns and villages.
Under a 2009 agreement with the city of Ogdensburg, the county keeps half of what it collects in sales tax and distributes what is left to towns and villages after the city takes its cut of 6.4 percent. Ogdensburg would not receive an increase in the percentage it receives under the countys plan, but the city would take in more money overall because more sales tax revenue would be collected.
Mr. Nelson did not return a phone call for comment, but an earlier meeting between the city and the county seemed to have settled the citys percentage at the status quo.
We were pleased the mayor and the City Council supported our plan, county Administrator Karen M. St. Hilaire said.
The city agreed to have county Attorney Michael C. Crowe draft an amendment to the 2009 agreement, she said.
Most municipalities in the county support an increase in the sales tax and are appreciative of the 10 percent offer, Mr. Gray said.
Obviously, that is a huge benefit, he said.
Municipalities have not agreed on how much more they would like, Mr. Gray said.
Were not in a firm position just yet, he said.
A distribution to towns and villages is not obligatory. The county, when it was governed by a board of supervisors, included a municipal distribution when the state enabled the county to collect sales tax when Medicaid became a shared expense in 1965.
We didnt have to offer any, Mr. Putney said. Theres a few people who dont understand our financial situation.
Increases in the cost of Medicaid for counties will level out over the next three years, based on a plan by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo for a cap, Mr. Yurgatis said.
That may improve their five-year outlook, he said.
However, Ms. St. Hilaire said those calculations were already included in the five-year plan.
Once the cap is reached, the countys share of Medicaid costs will be around $26 million, but its current share of sales tax is around $21 million annually, she said.
Were still about $5 million short, she said. It would be difficult to make any alterations to the plan.
An increase in the sales tax could also help rebuild the countys fund balance currently circling around 1 percent back up to 3 percent, which is still below the recommendation of the state comptrollers office, Ms. St. Hilaire said.