Northern New York Newspapers
Watertown
Ogdensburg
Massena-Potsdam
Lowville
Carthage
Malone
NNY Business
NNY Living
NNY Ads
Fri., Dec. 19
SUBSCRIBE
Serving the community of Ogdensburg, New York
22°F
Related Stories

Overturned kerosene heater causes fire in Carthage

PREV
NEXT
ARTICLE OPTIONS
A A
print this article
e-mail this article

CARTHAGE — The home of Shawn J. and Jennifer Schermerhorn, 40419 Rogers Crossing Road, was damaged by fire Tuesday.

Mrs. Schermerhorn said she was cleaning in the bathroom when she saw smoke in the living room area. She said she believes their dog knocked over the kerosene heater, causing the fire. Mrs. Schermerhorn and both of the family’s dogs escaped, but a pet macaw died.

Carthage fire Lt. Kris Kirkpatrick confirmed the fire appeared to have been started by the heater and there was extensive fire damage to the living room area where the blaze erupted about 12:20 p.m. There was smoke and water damage throughout the ranch-style, one-story home.

Carthage head driver Brian J. Draper credited closed doors throughout the house with not allowing the fire to spread. He said that with abundant manpower, firefighters were able to get the situation under control quickly. The fire was out in less than 30 minutes.

The house was insured and the American Red Cross was called to assist the family of four, which includes two teenage girls.

Carthage, West Carthage, Natural Bridge, Champion and Castorland fire departments responded to the call, and Harrisville was on standby.

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Giveaway
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
OGD on FacebookOGD on Twitter
Thursday 's Covers