CLAYTON A side of the home of Lawrence P. Phinney, 40979 Smithering Heights Road, town of Clayton, was damaged Wednesday night by a blaze caused by an overheated chimney.
Mr. Phinney was home with his three dogs, unaware of what was happening, when a neighbor alerted him to the outdoor fire, according to Joseph D. Plummer, Jefferson County director of fire and emergency management.
Fire units from Clayton, Cape Vincent, Depauville, Fishers Landing and LaFargeville responded to the 7:19 p.m. alarm, and remained on scene for nearly three hours. There were no injuries. The property is insured.
A wood-burning stove was in use, Mr. Plummer said.