NORFOLK Following Januarys lockdown when a Norfolk man was charged with bringing a BB pistol into the school, the Norwood-Norfolk Central School District will change procedures for building access.
State police charged Steven R. Wells, 60, with weapon possession, harassment and stalking Jan. 25 after an early-morning incident at the school.
Since then, the district has examined its access and will institute new procedures later this month. In light of recent tragic events in Newtown, Conn., and with a lockdown fresh in our memories, we have been examining our own safety procedures, Superintendent Elizabeth A. Kirnie said in a letter to parents and families.
Starting Feb. 25, when students return from their weeklong break, there will be only one secure entrance, at the middle school. The high school entrance will be for students only and for public use after school hours, and the doors to the elementary lobby will be for students only during the school day and open to the public for public events.
Parents and family members must enter through the middle school entrance only and wait for their children in the entryway, Mrs. Kirnie said in her letter. Except with special permission, parents/guardians may not escort students to their lockers or classrooms. Parents/guardians may enter the school for verified appointments only.