CANTON Patrick R. Lloyd didnt walk out of St. Lawrence County Court following arraignment Friday afternoon. He ran.
Released under probation supervision, Mr. Lloyd, 25, a suspect in an alleged February kidnapping attempt in Massena, turned around as soon as Judge Jerome J. Richards finished speaking, walked away from probation officials trying to approach him with paperwork and announced, I gotta go to the bathroom as he broke into a sprint toward the courtroom door.
Mr. Lloyds exit made waves in Massena, where village leaders expressed disbelief that the New York City man is still on the streets despite a lengthy criminal history, pending drug and gun charges in Franklin County and the brutality of the alleged kidnapping attempt and despite testing positive for THC, a chemical component in marijuana, prior to being released Friday.
The decision to exonerate Mr. Lloyds bail and to release him under the supervision of probation shocks the conscience, Police Chief Timmy J. Currier said.
The issues this community faces with respect to drugs and violence are well documented. Mr. Lloyd is at the center of it all, yet he has been released. To release him defies logic, Mr. Currier added.
Judge Richards should re-evaluate his role as the protector of the citizens of this county, Massena Mayor James F. Hidy said.
Mr. Lloyd, 25, of New York City, has been staying at a residence on Haskell Street in Massena. Prosecutors say he and his girlfriend, Miranda M. Green, 18, Massena, tried to kidnap another Massena resident, Catherine A. Berry, 17, of 66 Liberty Ave., on Feb. 16.
The pair were indicted by a St. Lawrence County grand jury in early March. Ms. Green was arraigned before Judge Richards on March 25. Like Mr. Lloyd, Ms. Green who is pregnant also tested positive for marijuana use. Like Mr. Lloyd, she also was placed under probation supervision pending further proceedings in the case.
Two days after Ms. Greens arraignment, a car she and Mr. Lloyd were riding in allegedly was shot at by a friend of Ms. Berry, Devian J. Fletcher, 19, another New York City man who told police that Mr. Lloyd had threatened to kill him. Mr. Fletcher and a woman who lived at Ms. Berrys address, Kate J. Javier, 19, are facing charges.
Assistant District Attorney Jonathan L. Becker told Judge Richards Friday that he believed Mr. Lloyd, who was able to post $6,500 cash bail and return to the streets minutes after his original arraignment in Massena, should be subject to stricter bail terms given his lengthy criminal history and the brutality of his alleged crime.
He poses a danger to the community, Mr. Becker told the judge, arguing that witnesses in the case are afraid of Mr. Lloyd, and that he had been involved in criminal activity since his arrest.
Defense attorney Edward F. Narrow said his client had been released on his own recognizance in the Franklin County case, and that he has not failed to appear for any court dates. He objected to characterizing being shot at as being involved in criminal activity.
Chief Currier said he believed the recommendations of the district attorneys office were ignored, and frankly so was the safety of the citizens of Massena.
Contacted later, Judge Richards secretary said the judge indicated that he is not allowed to comment on criminal matters that are currently before him.