WINTHROP - A Sunday afternoon fire at the 341 Crane Road home of Jean Arquitt is being blamed on a bucket of ashes.
It was ashes from the fireplace that had been placed in a bucket outside, Brasher-Winthrop Volunteer Fire Department Chief Pat Kowalchuk said.
Mr. Kowalchuk said his department was alerted to the fire at 4:11 p.m. and checked back into service at approximately 7 p.m.
Mr. Kowalkchuk said for the most part extensive damage was limited to an addition on the side of the home, which was owned by its occupant.
There was a little addition on the side of the home that was destroyed, but the rest of the home wasnt too bad, he said.
Mr. Kowalchuk said when firefighters arrived on the scene the addition was fully engulfed in flames with the fire starting to spread into the attic over the main part of the home.
When we got there we didnt think there was any way we were going to save the house, he said. The guys did a really good job of keeping the fire pushed toward the addition.
Mr. Kowalchuk said without the efforts of his departments interior firefighters, as well as interior firefighters from West Stockholm, the results of the fire could have been far worse.
It was a really good save, he said. The interior firefighters from Brasher-Winthrop and West Stockholm did a very good job.