WINTHROP A Sunday afternoon fire at a house at 341 Crane Road, town of Stockholm, is being blamed on a bucket of ashes.
It was ashes from the fireplace that had been placed in a bucket outside, Brasher-Winthrop Volunteer Fire Department Chief Pat Kowalchuk said.
Firefighters were called at 4:11 p.m. Mr. Kowalkchuk said extensive damage was limited mostly to an addition on the side of the home, which is owned and occupied by Jean Arquitt.
There was a little addition on the side of the home that was destroyed, but the rest of the home wasnt too bad, he said.
Mr. Kowalchuk said that when firefighters arrived the addition was engulfed in flames and the fire was spreading into the attic over the main part of the home.
When we got there we didnt think there was any way we were going to save the house, he said. The guys did a really good job of keeping the fire pushed toward the addition.
Mr. Kowalchuk said that without the efforts of his interior firefighters, as well as interior firefighters from West Stockholm, the results could have been far worse.
It was a really good save, he said. The interior firefighters from Brasher-Winthrop and West Stockholm did a very good job.