Northern New York Newspapers
Watertown
Ogdensburg
Massena-Potsdam
Lowville
Carthage
Malone
NNY Business
NNY Living
NNY Ads
Mon., Sep. 15
SUBSCRIBE
Serving the community of Ogdensburg, New York
56°F
Related Stories

Woman injured, house destroyed when oxygen vapors ignite

ARTICLE OPTIONS
A A
print this article
e-mail this article

NEW BREMEN — A fire that ignited when a resident was smoking a cigarette while taking oxygen left the woman hospitalized with burns and her home in ruins Thursday.

The home of Eugene and Enid Cady, 8476 Route 812, was deemed a total loss.

According to a Lewis County Emergency Management news release, oxygen vapors ignited, setting Mrs. Enid’s clothes on fire.

She was taken to Lewis County General Hospital, Lowville, where a nursing supervisor said she was stable Thursday night.

Her age was not provided, but the news release described her as elderly.

Mr. Cady reported the fire just after 3 p.m.

The couple has no insurance.

While the primary fire department on scene was the New Bremen Fire Department, mutual aid was provided by the Croghan, Beaver Falls and Lowville fire departments.

Lewis County Search and Rescue, National Grid, a sheriff’s investigator and the American Red Cross of Northern New York also were on the scene.

Connect with Us
OGD on FacebookOGD on Twitter
Thursday 's Covers