Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Coughlin, 1200 Jewell Drive, will celebrate their 71st wedding anniversary on July 14.
Mr. Coughlin, son of the late Francis and Harriet Kitto Coughlin, married Mary Louise Kirch, daughter of the late Frank and Imogene Kirch, on July 14, 1942, at St. Peters Church, Lowville, with the Rev. Albert Richardson officiating. Honor attendants were the late Hilda Kirch Flint, sister of the bride, and the late Max A. Kirch, brother of the bride.
Mr. Coughlin graduated in 1938 from Dexter High School. He was a control technician at Dexter Sulphite Pulp and Paper Co. until entering the Army on Aug. 12, 1942. He graduated from Army Armor School in Louisville, Ky., and served during World War II as commander of C Company, 785th Tank Battalion, during the Philippine Liberation Campaign, holding the rank of captain.
He was technical assistant to the managing director of IC Irving Industries, Dexter, and production superintendant of Dexter Sulphite Pulp and Paper Co. In 1953, he was a paper industry technical representative for Penick and Ford, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where the family relocated in 1971. In 1975, he worked for Cyprus Minerals Corp., Yardley, Pa., as manager of technical services; in 1977, he was vice president and general manager of minerals and chemicals for Freeport-MacMorRan, New Orleans, La., and in 1981, the family moved to Macon, Ga., where he retired in 1987.
Mrs. Coughlin graduated in 1941 from Lowville Academy and Central School. She was employed by F.W. Woolworth Co. and was a homemaker.
Mr. and Mrs. Coughlin lived on Pillar Point for 24 years. In 2010, they moved to Ives Hill Retirement Community.
The couple has three children, Kathy Christine Coughlin Bardi, Babylon, Patrick James, San Diego, Calif., and Erin Shannon Coughlin Hollowell, Homer, Alaska, six grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. Their eldest son, Leonard J. Johnny, died in 1992.