AKWESASNE - A handful of volunteer fire departments and EMS trucks rushed to the scene Thursday night after a fire broke out in a room at the Akwesasne Mohawk Casino Resort.
The St. Regis Mohawk Tribal Police, Hogansburg/Akwesasne, Bombay, Fort Covington and Massena fire departments and rescue squads were called at 10:10 p.m. when a fire erupted in a room on the hotels seventh floor.
Resort General Manager Pat Bassney noted that by the time the fire departments arrived the fire was out.
It was in one room, said Second Assistant Fire Chief Clinton Jacobs. A lamp caught on fire.
No one was in the room at the time, but two casino personnel were treated for minor aliments after dousing the fire with a hand-held extinguisher. Mr. Bassney said the two were treated for smoke inhalation.
We had people checked out by the ambulance, he said. But they checked out all clear ... Everything is OK.
According to a news release from the casino, the cause was due to an overheated lamp cord that caught on fire. Fire department officials deemed that a pinched wire in a floor lamp in a hotel room on the seventh floor ignited and caused minor damage, the news release stated.
Mr. Bassney said there was only minor damage to the room. Just the lamp, he said. And some patches of wall paper.
Hotel occupants were evacuated at the time of the incident, according to Mr. Bassney.
They were back in their rooms within an hour, he said.
But he did note that all lamps and cords within the hotel will be checked to prevent any future incidents. It appears to be a fluke incident because everything is brand new, Mr. Bassney said.
He noted that a new lamp will cost about $150 and some monies will be spent on patching up the wallpaper.
Its pretty minimal, he said.
The St. Regis Mohawk Tribe officially opened the resort expansion on May 9.
The resort, located on state Route 37, has 150 rooms and is attached to the casino.