Northern New York Newspapers
Watertown
Ogdensburg
Massena-Potsdam
Lowville
Carthage
Malone
NNY Business
NNY Living
NNY Ads
Sun., Dec. 21
SUBSCRIBE
Serving the community of Ogdensburg, New York
22°F
Related Stories

Poisonous wild parsnip makes itself known in the north country

PREV
NEXT
ARTICLE OPTIONS
A A
print this article
e-mail this article

OGDENSBURG — Some flowers are better left alone.

In the case of wild parsnip, the failure to keep away could come with serious consequences – a lesson two children recently found out the hard way.

Amanda M. Wells of Ogdensburg said her children, Mackinley, 2, and Jayce, 4, went outside to pick flowers for their grandmother July 21 when they came into contact with the sap of wild parsnip flowers.

Within 24 hours, a serious rash developed and blisters soon followed, Ms. Wells said.

“They like to pick flowers, and that’s the coolest looking one,” she said.

A member of the same family of plants as Queen Anne’s Lace, wild parsnip can grow to be 6 feet tall and sprouts bright yellow flowers that cover fields and ditches alongside the road.

It was the natural beauty of the plant that drew the Wells children to it, and by the time they were done collecting the flowers, their hands were covered in sap.

The sap alone won’t do much harm, said Kitty A. O’Neil, regional field crops and soil specialist at Cornell Cooperative Extension of St. Lawrence County. “The problem is that it doesn’t hurt right away,” Ms. O’Neil said.

It’s chemicals within the sap that make the skin extra sensitive to sunlight, causing the rashes and blisters to develop.

In the case of the Wells children, they played outside all day with the sap on their hands, Ms. Wells said. “On Monday, they woke up with rashes; on Tuesday, they had blisters,” she said.

And the rashes remain sensitive to sunlight for months after the initial contact, she said.

According to a release by Cornell Cooperative Extension, being exposed to sunlight can make the rash and blisters worse, and even after the rash clears, the skin can remain sensitive for several years.

“It’s a lot worse than poison ivy,” Ms. Wells said.

Jayce had contact with the sap only on his hands, Ms. Wells said, but Mackinley spread it to her face.

“It shouldn’t have to happen to anybody,” she said.

The plant is relatively new to the north country, Ms. O’Neil said. An invasive species native to Europe and Asia, “it’s become a much more prevalent plant” in the last several years, she said.

It’s the prevalence and unfamiliarity with the plant that are causing problems.

Ms. Wells said she had never heard of the plant until her children came into contact with it last weekend. Now she is spreading the word. Anyone who comes into contact with the plant can avoid more serious problems if they wash the sap off quickly, she said.

Ms. O’Neil said if you discover it in your yard, you should wear gloves when you’re snipping it, “and be safe; wash your hands and arms and face.”

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Giveaway
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
OGD on FacebookOGD on Twitter
Thursday 's Covers