Northern New York Newspapers
Watertown Daily Times
The Journal
Daily Courier-Observer
NNY Ads
NNY Business
NNY Living
Malone Telegram
Sat., Jul. 12
SUBSCRIBE
Serving the community of Ogdensburg, New York
79°F
Related Stories

Attempted Massena kidnappers accept plea bargain

ARTICLE OPTIONS
A A
print this article
e-mail this article

CANTON — The two people who assaulted and attempted to kidnap a Massena teen in February are headed to prison after they accepted a plea deal Thursday in St. Lawrence County Court.

Patrick R. Lloyd, 25, of New York City, and Miranda M. Green, 18, of 37 Howard St., Massena, pleaded guilty to second-degree attempted kidnapping, a class C felony.

Mr. Lloyd is expected to be sentenced to eight years in prison as a second-felony offender. The plea deal will satisfy charges that are pending against him in Massena Village Court.

Ms. Green is expected to receive up to four years in prison. She will be sentenced as a youthful offender, meaning she will not have a criminal record after serving her time.

Sentencing is at 9:15 a.m. Nov. 6.

The plea deal was reached just one day after St. Lawrence County Judge Jerome J. Richards encouraged the pair to accept a plea bargain, noting they both could be looking at 15 years in prison if they were convicted. This was the first time that a plea had been introduced into the case, Mr. Lloyd’s attorney, Edward F. Narrow, said Thursday.

“We took that back to our clients and gave them the night to think about it,” Mr. Narrow said of him and Ms. Green’s attorney, Peter A. Dumas. “We came back to court today and asked the judge if he would be willing to give us a commitment in regards to sentence.”

Mr. Lloyd and Ms. Green are accused of shoving Catherine A. Berry, 18, to the ground and punching and kicking her in the face several times on Feb. 16. In court Thursday, they admitted to stopping Ms. Berry on the street, restraining her hands and trying to force her into their vehicle before their actions drew the attention of neighbors in the Sycamore Street area where the incident took place. Ms. Berry suffered bruises and facial swelling as a result of the attack.

In addition to the attempted kidnapping charge, the two were facing charges of unlawful imprisonment and petit larceny.

Mr. Lloyd also faced a charge of second-degree attempted assault, and Ms. Green faced a charge of third-degree assault.

Uncertainty about how Ms. Berry would testify — before a grand jury she accused the two of the attack, but then recanted her story in a written statement to Canton private investigator Donald J. Tracy, who had been hired by the defense — had hung over the case before Thursday morning, when she was scheduled to testify.

Mr. Narrow said he and Mr. Dumas had learned that Ms. Berry was going to stick to her original complaint and testimony. It was that testimony and the testimony of witness Roxanne Erlendson that the attorneys said would make it difficult for them to win a not-guilty verdict from the jury.

Mr. Dumas said Ms. Green, who is pregnant with Mr. Lloyd’s child and is due to give birth in three months, will be placed in a facility where she will be able to spend a year with her child.

“So this is a victory,” Mr. Dumas said. “And she walks out of court today without a conviction.”

St. Lawrence County District Attorney Nicole M. Duve said she was pleased with the outcome of the case.

“It was something that caught the attention of the Massena community in a way that not a lot of people do,” Ms. Duve said. “It caused a lot of upset and alarm in the community, and this outcome assured that the people who were responsible for causing that are being dealt with and being held accountable for what they did.”

Attorney Edward Narrow talks about plea deal
Connect with Us
OGD on FacebookOGD on Twitter
Thursday 's Covers
Frontpage
Sports cover
Our Community cover