LISBON – Through smoke, mist, fog and rain, firefighters battled a structure fire Friday at 495 Ballantine Road.
Emergency crews from Heuvelton, Canton, Lisbon and Morristown responded to the blaze shortly after 3 p.m.
Lisbon Second Asst. Chief Cory J. Kroeger said he was the third person on the scene when he saw flames shoot out from the back of the two-story house.
The flames had gone out the back of the building and spread inside, Mr. Kroeger said.
Firefighters put out the flames within 15 minutes, but the crews continued to carefully comb the house for two hours, searching for hot spots.
The fire was caused because of a wood stove malfunction, Mr. Kroeger said.
Well have to wait for the investigation to be complete before we can find out what exactly happened, he said.
Mr. Kroeger said no one was inside at the time, and the house is not a total loss.
The owner of the house has not yet been confirmed by investigators.