MALONE The 19-year-old Malone man injured in a fatal house fire Tuesday was listed in serious condition Wednesday at Fletcher Allen Health Care, Burlington, Vt.
Jared Smith was burned when his home at 20 South St. caught fire about 4:30 a.m. Tuesday.
His mother, Pamela Taylor, 45, died in her second-floor bedroom. An autopsy Wednesday concluded that she died of smoke inhalation.
Her boyfriend, Vernon Rivers, 39, managed to escape the flames. He was treated at Alice Hyde Medical Center for smoke inhalation and burns on his hands and legs.
His sister, Linda Rivers, said in an email that Mr. Smith suffered severe burns to his face and hands and injury to his lungs from smoke inhalation. He could be released from the hospital next week, she said.
Malone Village Police Chief Christopher J. Premo said that the matter will remain under investigation until Mr. Smith can be interviewed, but that there appears to be no foul play.
Ms. Taylor and Mr. Rivers were in the process of buying the South Street home together, according to Ms. Rivers.
It is a very sad day, she said.