MALONE The teen injured in a house fire that killed his mother last week was released from the hospital Thursday.
Jared Smith, 19, suffered severe burns to his hands, face, throat and lungs when his home at 20 South St. caught fire Jan. 28. He had been on life support at Fletcher Allen Health Care in Burlington, Vt.
His mother, Pamela Taylor, 45, died in her second-floor bedroom of smoke inhalation. Her boyfriend, Vernon Rivers, 39, escaped but had to be treated for smoke inhalation and burns on his hands and legs.
The family recently discovered that Mr. Smith had health insurance, but that it expired Jan. 31. However, from what were being told at the moment, everything will hopefully be cleared, said Mr. Smiths father, Kevin.
The Smiths are collecting clothing for Jared and his twin brother, Jordan, who lost everything in the fire. They also set up a website to collect donations toward funeral costs and medical bills at Giveforward.com.