POTSDAM - The second annual North Country Jr. Iron Chef competition, a project of the Health Initiative, was held March 8 with great success.
Twenty-three middle and high school age teams from around the region developed healthy recipes using a combination of local and USDA foods that could be realistically prepared in a school cafeteria. At the event, dishes were judged by distinguished panels including school administrators, food service staff, students, chefs, farmers and others.
The title of 2014 North Country Jr. Iron Chefs in the middle school division was won by Peru Blue of Peru Central School with Fiery North Country Chili. The Top Cats of Northern Adirondack Central School earned the title of 2014 North Country Jr. Iron Chefs in the high school division with NACH Your Average Enchilada.
The complete list of event winners includes:
Middle Sschool winners:
- First place was Peru Blue, Peru Central School
- Second place was CF Zebra Chefs, Clifton-Fine Central School
- Third place was Soup-A-Starz, Canton Central School
- Honorable Mention went to Fantastic Five, Potsdam Central School
High school winners:
- First place was Top Cats, Northern Adirondack Central School
- Second place was Peru Culinary Artisans, Peru Central School
- Third place was Future Chefs, North Franklin Educational Center BOCES
- Honorable Mention: French Toast Mafia, Clifton-Fine Central School
Recipes and photos from the competition are now available at the event website, ncjrironchef.org.
Event sponsors included Golden Griddle sponsor Fidelis Care; Pewter Platter sponsors Healthy Schools NY and United Healthcare Community Plan; Copper Kettle sponsor Community Bank, N.A.; Bamboo Bowl sponsor Lewis County General Hospital; and Wire Whisk sponsors Cabot Creamery Cooperative, Hurlbut Tent Rental and Northern Music and Video. The event was also supported by Potsdam Central School; Chef Kyle Mayette at Clarkson University; Potsdam Public Library; Birdsfoot Farm, and; North Country Grown Cooperative.
To learn more about North Country Jr. Iron Chef, please visit ncjrironchef.org or contact the Health Initiative at (315) 261.4760.